Saturday, May 27, 2006

Life With a Purpose


A simple incident with a great effect.

I went to Carrefour RatuPlaza a couple of days ago with two friends. We were there because this girl needed to buy her daily needs. And this other one was in agreement with me to get ourselves some ice cream. Cheap ones.

So we strolled along together through the racks in the hypermarket. The trolley traffic was pretty light considering it was a public holiday, only 2 days after gajian time. When we were on the ice cream section, we got separated. I, along with my ice cream hunter sidekick, kept ourselves occupied in the ice cream freezer, where we browsed through the selection of haagen dazs macademia nut, baileys irish cream, vanilla swiss almond and chocolate chip, condemning the prices and sizes. While the other one was (perhaps) busy deciding to get a nutella or crumpy as dressing for her wheat bread - that’s bread – and a shampoo manufactured by either P&G or Unilever.

I finally realized that she was not within our sight. And considered ourselves lost, for this matter. Then we tried calling her to get an information of her whereabouts. My effort produced nothing but a missed call sign on her mobile. Then she tried, and her effort seemed to have reached its goal. We were informed that she was waiting for us in the ice cream freezer (the one which sells campina and walls likes, not the haagen dazs).

On our way there, I was thinking to myself. “Why do we, 2 grown ups, had to call and came to her, rather than her, being alone, come to us?”. Then it hit me, we both knew she was determined to something - buying her groceries. As opposed to us, browsing, having wild and cheap imagination about consuming high-class ice cream, with pockets just as deep to compensate the entry levels.

Now it’s clear to me that when people have a purpose in something, he/she will become a leader to others, and other people with less determination and focus will simply be attracted and be his/her follower. Maybe this little philosophy is applicable to my work life as well. To become an employer, rather than an employee. Bob kiyosaki will envy me.

1 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow great story sometimes came from our daily activities...thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home